Monday, June 16, 2008

Analyzing bioacoustics


Just so you don't think I'm just hangin out staring at primates, I am including a picture of a spectogram. This is a visual representation of a sound recording that allows us really cool science folks to analyze various characteristics (frequency, harmonics, duration, can you dance to it, etc.) of a call. So, I record the monkeys calls, write down as much contextual information as I can (for example: "PH smacks Mickey upside his little head. Mickey makes whiney trill sound. PH snickers to himself and makes sure all the chicks are watching."), and then go back and turn the recording into a spectogram. Then the real fun begins. Maybe, if you are really awful to me, I'll make you read my dissertation someday. I'll probably spare you, though.

No comments: