Monday, June 16, 2008

Meet the monkeys

I am sure most of you have been waiting on pins and needles for the next exciting installment of my life in the jungle. Unfortunately, my life in the jungle looks very similar this week as it did last, so I have few exciting tales to tell. In lieu of sordid tales of my life (which consists mostly of eating very starchy food and trying not to fall in holes), I will offer you a glimpse of my homies:
The blue monkey (Cercopithecus mitis) is a rather nondescript guenon who would only be considered blue by those with a rather vibrant imagination. They are, in fact, kind of gray and with not a lot of variation that might make individuals easier to identify as they go sailing 30 meters over one's head. The Kenyan staff seem to have no problem identifying these random gray blobs as they go careening past. They say "That one is Desdemona." I nod, knowingly, staring up at the nondescript gray blob sitting on a tree branch over head. I peer through my binoculars, hoping to find something that makes Desdemona look in anyway different from the other 40 odd critters ambling around. I quietly ask " How do we know it is Desdemona." This is answered with "She has a round nose." "Oh," I say, unconvinced. In fact, they don't have much of a nose at all, round or otherwise. "What else," I press. "Her right nipple is much larger than her left." At first I feel a bit awkward and inappropriate staring this intently at someone's nipples, especially as we have not been formally introduced. But sure enough, they're right. And now, weeks later, I can even tell she has a round nose (sort of).
The group I am watching is called GNorth (I don't know why). They are led by a strapping hunk of manliness called PH (apparently for the band Portishead, unpronouncable to the Kenyans and named by a former researcher some years ago). PH has a pretty easy life - he eats, sleeps, occasionally mates. Even less frequently he beats up on Mickey, an adolescent male who should have left the group some time ago but fails to get the hint (male blue monkeys usually leave the group at around 5 years old, leaving only females, juveniles, and the big boss male). Other than Mickey, PH has little trouble in his life (and I doubt that he would even consider Mickey more than a minor annoyance). There are occasional run-ins with another group to the north (the infamous F-Troop), but the females do most of the fighting. The male of that group, Kentucky, tends to sit on high and observe, with a rather detached expression and an unpleasant habit of scratching his genitals, while the females scream and yell and chase each other out of respective territories.
Right - maybe I can put some pictures up now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

James -- AWESOME!
We eagerly await tales (tails?) of more monkeyshine on the blog ...

Kelly & Joel